Pages

Saturday 16 November 2013

Dreamland Open Day

Lots of people turned out for the Dreamland Open Day today and the  sun shone on everyone. There was a great atmosphere and I really think Dreamland is going to be a big success. It will bring more visitors to Thanet and help to create jobs and get the economy moving. Its good to be able to be positive and praise something. I hope I will be doing more or of this. I enjoyed the scooters . They brought back a lot of memories of when I was I lad in Yorkshire in the 70s. Skinheads, northern soul was what I was into. Leading on to David Bowie, Roxy Music and then punk. Blimey a long time ago but a lot of fun with some good mates. I only saw one dirty greebo all day. I guess the scooter boys scared em off. Here is a short film from today.

Good luck Dreamland and well done for today.

9 comments:

  1. Ian,

    What is a 'greebo'? The word is new to me. Perhaps this is explained by the fact that I spent most of the 60's decade living variously in Germany, Cyprus & Malaysia.

    I wish Dreamland well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John Greebo or Greaser was a Yorkshire term for motorcyclists. It was regarded by motorcyclists as quite insulting and used to make them extremely angry

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Ian. I have fond memories of Dreamland and I hope that it's rebirth will be a roaring success. I want to hear again that unique rumble of wheels on the wood of the Scenic Railway and the delighted screams of the girls. This was the sound to which I would fall asleep as a child living in the Station Hotel.

      Delete
  2. Perhaps they had a shower before they arrived, knocking one section of the community that kept the deck chair repair industry in clover seems a bit below the belt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't see you at the Albion House open day in Ramsgate today, Mr D! Surely for a Ramsgate councillor, that would have been the priority event this weekend! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would have loved to have been there Mr E, but parental duties prevented me.

      Delete
    2. I'm sure the voters of Ramsgate will understand!

      Delete
    3. Mr E I don't want to sound like a bleeding heart liberal but I have 2 disabled daughters who need quite a lot of care which means that I sometimes I have to lend a hand.

      Delete
    4. I am no fan of Cllr Driver's politics and I could never vote for him in a thousand years; but I do know that I would put my daughters' welfare before any petty political Open Day. And yes, I believe that the voters of Ramsgate do understand and those that don't can go to hell.

      Delete